Friday, August 16, 2013

Time Well Spent: Completing one Journey to Start Another


            Throughout my Masters in Early Childhood Studies I have learned a lot about myself and others.  I have relearned the value of self-reflecting and how it benefits both you and your mission.  I have learned and redefined my passion in the early childhood field.  I found that I am very passionate about the inclusion of all children, especially the young children that demonstrate challenging behaviors.  I am a firm believer that all young children should have high quality, safe and equitable education and care no matter what their ethnicity, race, gender, ability level, or family type.  During this program I learned about research and how important it is for the early childhood field.  I also take with me the knowledge about diversity and now understand that it is a long hard journey that begins with me taking a little step and is a lifelong process.   

            In our Foundations class we had to list three professional goals that we want to accomplish.  As I review my three goals I see that I am well on my journey of making a safe high quality, equitable learning environment for all young children.  I still have a lot of room to grow and I am a true believer in lifelong learning.  We also had to write a mission statement for the early childhood field and I would like to share mine.  The following is the mission statement that I wrote in our Foundations class:

The mission for the early childhood field is to create a high quality accessible learning environment that is individualized and promotes children’s cognitive, language, social, emotional, and physical development.  Provide families with support, education, and opportunities to be involved in their child’s development.  Provide programs that support interventions, preventions, and treatment for all young children.  Prepare professionals to extend their knowledge of the development of children and identify appropriate and effective skills needed when working with young children.  Provide educational opportunities on psychological flexibility to professionals and families.

If everyone in the early childhood field built and followed this mission I think that we would see high quality accessible education and care for all young children.

 

Saying good bye is a hard thing to do.  I want to thank all my colleagues that have supported, commented, and shared their ideas with me.  Without your support this program would not be meaningful.  You are what made this program successful for me.  I hope that we stay connected with each other.  Thank you for helping me grow and improve my abilities to make social change in the early childhood field.

 

 

If you need me for any reason my email address is lucibarnes@hotmail.com I hope that we can continue to support each other on our journey.

8 comments:

  1. Like you I have changed very much over the time of these courses and am so thankful for meeting people who are passionate about wanting to make a difference in the lives of children. I wish you all the best of luck in your future plans and that you continue to be an advocate for all children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luci

    I have been appreciative of your feedback this past year and a half as well. All of the best to you.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Luci,
    Here we are at the end of the program----and we made it!!!!!
    You have taught me so much in our classes at Walden! I admire your work and I know that you have a bright future ahead! Please stay in touch. I wish you the best as you continue making an impact in the lives of children.
    Best wishes,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luci,
    I have so appreciated your comments and ideas. Your suggestion for my Capstone project really helped me think of an important unintended consequence and it really made my project more complete. I wish you all the best. God Bless!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luci,

    You are my inspiration!!!!! This journey would never have been possible without your words of encouragement. YOu are an asset to early childhood education and I cannot wait to read your book on challenging behaviors. I wish you all the best and please keep in touch. I think my get my doctoral too ahhhh!!!!!!!!!

    Michele mallen28@ec.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luci you are a great inspiration. Thank you for all your assistance and your future goals will definitly imapct in the ECd field. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Luci,

    Thank you for being a great support to me throughout this course. I have valued all your feedbacks and responses and am thankful that I could connect with such wonderful colleagues. Wish you all the best as you pursue to achieve your goals and aspirations. God Bless! And hopefully we will cross paths again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Luci,

    Thank you for your support throughout this journey. Indeed we have learned a lot in the past eighteen months. Like you, I am thankful for being able to reflect on my own passion and what truly motivates me in this field. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete