Friday, July 13, 2012

International Contacts

International Contacts
Unfortunately, I have not received a response back from any international colleague and I had to do the alternate assignment.  However I did learn about Mongolia through the Childhood Poverty Research and Policy Centre (http://www.childhoodpoverty.org/index.php?action=countryo#12).  I watched all ten podcasts from the World Forum Foundation radio. 
The podcasts were about the passions that inspire these professionals to help young children.  Not a lot of talk about poverty; however, Meridas Eka Yora, ran an orphanage in Indonesia.  She talked about how you had to be mother and father before becoming the teacher and that the oldest children take care of the youngest.  Irma Allen who lives in Africa talks about the fact that there are no schools.  Children’s learning experiences all take part outside.  The outdoor environment has a lot to teach us and they use natural resources that are available to them.  Maysoun Chehab in Arab trained parents and teachers how to help children that have been through a big conflict such as war.  Teaching adults how to deal with the conflict helps children to deal with it.  Delfena Mitchell ran a home for abused children in Belize.  You could hear her passion in her voice when she talked about a little boy in her program.  Deevia Bhana in South Africa talked about sexual abuse that goes on there.  They believe that having sex with young girls would cure HIV or AIDs this is a scary thought.  It would mean that no young girl is safe from being raped.

World Forum Foundation Radio. Includes links to podcasts of conversations with early childhood professionals.
http://www.worldforumfoundation.org/wf/radio.php

After visiting and researching the website http://www.childhoodpoverty.org, Childhood Poverty Research and Policy Centre I learned a lot about poverty in Mongolia.  Mongolia went through a rapid structure change that hit families hard, unemployment rose, inflation and prices soared.  There were cuts in basic social services and welfare reduced support.  In 1998 36% of the population was below poverty level.  Poverty was higher in urban areas than rural. 
Before this transition Mongolia’s social services were high standard and accessible to all.  Now access to healthcare for poor families, migrants, and those in remote rural areas is poor.  Health insurance schemes demands user fees and restricts use to these registered as living in that area.  Malnutrition is growing in 1998 30% of children under five had low height for age and 10% were under weight.  51% of population did not have access to safe drinking water.
Many Children were forced to work outside the home for money which resulted in no schooling.  One third of migrants moved to urban areas for better education.  Migrants are four times more likely to drop out of school than long-term residents due to urban schools not accepting migrant children.
This information is not the most recent and I look forward to researching more about Mongolia to see where they are today with poverty.  I still hope that the international colleagues will respond to my emails; however I still plan to research Mongolia further.

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!!!! I still cannot get over the young girls in South Africa! Oprah did a segment on that particular issues year ago and I was in pure shock of the torture those young lives go through. I will be quite honest the women in South Africa need to start their own Army and fight back for the rights and protection of themselves and their young daughters. I think an Army of educated strong women with guns, would scare any ignorant man from torturing a young girl. It is time to educate, educate, educate!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to help South Africa and move our troops to a more pressing issues such as that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I look at some of these other countries that are going through such horrible things I feel so sad. I shelter myself often times from hearing about it just because it is so horrifying. I guess in the field that I am going into I should be watching the news and looking into things like this rather than turning the news off. I just hate hearing about all the despair and trouble that other people are having. Just reading these numbers about poverty and malnutrition makes me upset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your contacts did not come through for you. However, the information about Mongolia was very interesting. Their poverty level sounds drastic. I am always shocked to hear about child labor and that children miss their education so they can work to help keep their families afloat. The other information you wrote about from the pod casts you viewed was also shocking, especially South Africa. I can't wrap my mind around the ignorance of such actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucinda,
    I was unable to make contact either! We are in the same boat! However, your information provided about teachers needing to be parents before they could become educators was very informative. I found your post interesting because as a mother I find my ‘’mothering’’ abilities contributing to the relationships I build with children. In my experiences, I found that after I had my daughter I did not have to work so hard to address issues with children… it just came more natural considering all the practice I was getting off the clock! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucinda I do agree educators need to be parents before they could give information on being educators. THat was very imformative.

    ReplyDelete