Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The organization that I am reviewing

The organization that I chose is National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER) http://nieer.org
This organization “conducts and communicates research to support high-quality, effective early childhood education for all young children” (http://nieer.org/about/vision).  The NIEER has a variety of articles and research projects that benefits educators, families, and policy makers.

The newsletter is sent biweekly.  I looked back over the last three issues and I found this:
The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) recently released the latest edition of “The Condition of Education,” the annual report of trends and developments in P-20 education. Amongst the plethora of statistics gathered, NCES reports that the percent of 3- to 5-year-olds enrolled in full-day pre-K classrooms increased from 32 percent in 1980 to 58 percent in 2010; private preschool enrollment dropped from 6.3 million in 2001 to 5.5 million in 2009; nearly 1 million more public school students were identified as English language learners in 2009 than in 2000; and the percent of children and youth ages 3-21 with disabilities has decreased each year since 2005, with approximately 6.5 million (13 percent) of public school enrollees being served under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (NIEER, 2012).
I thought it demonstrated the demographic changes that we have been talking about.

NIEER. (2012, June 1). The condition of education 2012: A portrait of the nation’s students. NIEER online newsletter, 11(12). Retrieved from http://nieer.org/publications/online-newsletters/volume-11-issue-12

3 comments:

  1. Those are some very interesting statistics. I was actually a little surprised to see that children with disabilities has decreased, I'm not sure why I felt surprised though. Those definitely give and excellent idea of how our country is changing dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucinda, I thought it was sad that the number of private preschool numbers dropped so dramatically. Universal preschool would solve the gap problem for all children. I don't understand why we still live in a society seperated by class. I mean geez even foreign countries know the benefits of early childhood education. when is America going to wake up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the National Institute for Early Education Research is a great source for update information as well as a great tool to see how far we have come in the field of early childhood development. I checked out the link and bookmarked it for future assignment while on our journey. Congratulation on having someone responded to you trying to network. I was not as lucky so I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete