Monday, October 1, 2012

Research Around the World

I explored Early Childhood Australia through the website http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/ I saw a lot of similarities to NAEYC website.  The following are the research themes that I found while exploring this site:
·         Being, Belonging, and Becoming
·         School Readiness and Children’s transitions
·         Sustainability, global warming and climate change
·         Baby and Toddler sleeping
·         Child health and childhood obesity
The Early Childhood Australia (ECA) position statement of regret and commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families:  The ECA recognizes them as the original inhabitants of Australia; the ECA is committed to reconciliation and recognize that home cultures help develop an identity and self-worth. 

While exploring ECA position statement: children of Asylum Seekers I found this interesting bit of information: “half of the world’s refugees are children.”  This tells us that we really need to focus on these children giving them the extra support.  As I explored I found that Australia’s early childhood field is researching the same or similar issues that we are in the United States.

This website is worthy of further exploration. 

4 comments:

  1. I explored the same site Lucinda. I was pleased to see their statement of regret. A good example for other countries. The intentions are good, but I wonder of the extent of their loss in terms of culture and traditions.

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comparison, it really does have the feeling of NAEYC. Makes me wish our country had something like this website. I think the way that Australia includes their native people and cultures is something that our country, states, and school districts could learn from. I noticed this same pattern when we were conversing with international professionals. I really think we are missing the boat when it comes to this issue. I was so excited when I saw all the topics on the website. I guess it will give me something to read when I finish school. As much as I would like to now, there is just no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luci,

    I also did the same website and was very impressed with the fact that they still reach out to all the children's needs regardless of their affiliation. As of right now Australia has invested $20 billion in the future of early childhood. It is interesting to know that both of early childhood issues are similiar but how each country approaches the issue is very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucinda,

    I too chose this site for review, I was very impressed with their mission statement. I am glad you pointed out that similarities to the NAEYC. There was so much information I want to return to review more. I amazes me that no matter where you are in the world we have the same issues and concerns when it comes to early childhood education.

    ReplyDelete