Thursday, November 8, 2012

Family Culture

If there were a major catastrophe and my family and I had to evacuate the three items that I would take would be:
1.      Family photo album
2.      A stuffed doll that I have had since I was two.
3.      A quilt that my grandmother made for me.
The photo album reminds me of my ancestors, growing up years, and my children.  My stuff doll was the one thing that I could tell everything to without feeling like I am being judged.  I hurt no one’s feelings and I was able to relieve some of my stress.  The quilt is a patchwork that was made with love especially for me by my grandmother.

To have to give up anyone of these items would hurt very much.  It would be like giving up a part of who I am and how I survived to get here.  I do not which item that I would choose to keep if I could only keep one.  Though I do not use my doll like I did when I was younger she would be very hard to part with as she knows more about me than anyone else.  The quilt is very special to me it was made out of materials from dresses that I used to wear.  My grandmother signed the quilt with love and made it special for me.  It would keep me warm and remind me of times that I spent with my grandmother.  Pictures are something that cannot be replaced.  Pictures help to tell stories of the past and to see relatives that I have never met, such as my grandpa on my mother’s side.  He died during war when my mom was just four months old. 

I grew up in a large family and I really had to think about what I would take with me.  It might be to my benefit to place pictures on my computer and making my computer one of the items that I take with me.  If I did this I could take a picture of my doll and the quilt to have though it would not be the same as having it in person. 

3 comments:

  1. Luci,

    This was a hard assignment for me. Having to leave everything behind that I have built for the last 40 years. It was nice to read about you items and what they mean to you.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have chosen some special items. I loved hearing your stories about your stuffed doll. When I was young I had a blanket. There are times I wish that my parents would have saved the blanket as a keepsake. I make quilts in my spare time and I have always wondered if they were special to the people I give them too. Your story make me feel that maybe they are and I just have no idea how much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucinda, it was nice reading about the special items that you would take with you. I don't actually have anything from my early childhood, although I sometimes wish I did. My daughter is 18 and she has a bear that was given to her at birth, it is still in good condition and I hope that she will have it well into adulthood. One of the items that I would take with me is a dvd with pictures. I think pictures are definitely an important part of preserving our past. Delores

    ReplyDelete