Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Microaggression

Microaggression are brief everyday indignities that  maybe verbal, behavioral, or environmental, communicated intentionally or unintentionally, contains an insulting message and often causes severe psychological stress and harm (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d.).

An example of microaggression that I experienced this week is that during a teacher meeting at work we found out that we had a mandatory literacy activity on Monday the 10th of December and I made a comment that it was going to be rough because Monday nights are boy scout night and the comment that “why can’t you husband take him? It is Boy Scouts after all.  The emphasis was on boy and the assumption that I got was that it should be a father/son only thing.  This left me thinking that because I was a girl I was not supposed to take my son to boy scouts.

The information that I received this week has me watching closely at what is being said and for reactions to those words.  Because people take meaning from words in different forms things that are said maybe misinterpreted.  Watching for a reaction will help me in determining if I said something that offended some one.  I need to know if I am going to be able to monitor and fix the hidden biases that I am not fully aware of.  The two implicit Association tests (IAT) that I took young versus old and thin versus fat.  The test suggests that I have a strong preference towards young to old and thin to fat.  I found this kind of interesting as I am on the fat side and older than most of my peers.

Reference
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (n.d.). Microaggressions in everyday Life. [Video Webcast]. In Perspective, Diversity, and Equality Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_1958978_1%26url%3D

2 comments:

  1. I too spent alot of time this week watching my conversations and those around me. I find it facinating how much time is spent talking about and juding others. Despite the diversity of country we spend a lot of time drawing conclusions and passing judgement on other individuals. This week has helped to re-open my eyes to the need we have to love unconditionally..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week has made me mindful how I have been guilty of making microaggression comments, not realizing that this is what I am doing.

    ReplyDelete