Friday, September 14, 2012

Research Journey

The topic I chose is at what age do problem-solving skills start in young children?  I work with children that have special needs and I facilitate problem-solving skills.  I use the Second Step curriculum to help with this and to build social skills in my classroom.  I need to know that I am not pushing skills that children are not ready for and to know where my students should be.  Problem-solving skills are used throughout life and are a very important school readiness skill.   Children need problem-solving skills to be successful in school and in life.

This class and constructing research has been very challenging.  I have learned a lot and we are only in week 2.  Any suggestions and insights for researching as well as research articles that you might find on problem-solving skills in young children would be much appreciated. 

Some articles that I have found:
Webster-Stratton, C. & Reid, M. J. (2004). Strengthening social and emotional competence in young children-The foundation for early school readiness and success: Incredible years classroom social skills and problem-solving curriculum. Infants and Young Children, 17(2), p. 96-113. Retrieved from http://journals.lww.com/iycjournal/Abstract/2004/04000/Strengthening_Social_and_Emotional_Competence_in.2.aspx
Bernard-Opitz, V. Sriram, N. and Nakhoda-Sapuan, S. (2001). Enhancing social problems solving in children with autism and normal children through computer-assisted instruction. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 31(4), 377-384. DOI: 10.1023/A:1010660502130 Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/k2t2416v357q3883/

3 comments:

  1. Lucinda,
    I like your topic -- having the right expectations is very important. The first class we teach to our parents in our preschool class is about ages and stages. Are we asking too much, too little or just right... quite a puzzle sometimes with three and four year-olds.
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic sounds very interesting. I will be excited to hear more about it in the coming weeks. Problem solving skills are so important and it is shocking to me how many children are lacking basic problem solving skills. We need to teach children that trial and error is okay, that is how we learn. That sometime the first solution we come up with may not work or may not be the most effective. However it is better for them to come up with and attempt many solutions to problems then fixing the problem for them. They do not learn by having an adult take over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luci,

    I always enjoy reading your posts. I like your topic and look forward to following your research. Working with Head Start you see the wheels turning at this young age, while playing you can see the cause and effect taking place.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete