Saturday, December 15, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals

The one hope that I have when working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that they are welcomed with open hearts and arms and that those families can continue to experience their home language and traditions and share them with other families.  That diversity is welcomed in every center around the world and that every child is treated in a fair and equitable manner.

The goal that I would set for the early childhood field is that all early childhood professionals welcome diverse groups in a fair and equitable manner, that cultures are respected, home languages are encouraged, and that relationships are built with each child and their families.

This has been a long and challenging class that has made me focus on my past and how the past influences my future.  I want to thank each and every one of you for your input in this learning process.  I appreciate all the support that you have given to me, and that I truly hope that I have demonstrated my support in a non-microaggessive manner.  I hope that everyone has a safe and relaxing break. 

Thank you again,
Luci

5 comments:

  1. Luci,

    Your passion for early childhood exudes in your goals and hopes for our children. I beleive every child deserves an extension of their home culture in the classroom and I tend to vow to continue that in mine. This class has been amazing the last eight weeks and made feel like an expert too.

    Good Luck in all future classes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that asking a family to come into a classroom and share their home culture is sometimes the hardest things for teachers to do, but can be the most rewarding for all concerned! I hope that my staff can improve in that area too, welcoming them with open arms.
    I also agree that this has been a challenging class. I have learned from it as well, and plan to put the knowledge into practice!
    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luci,

    Your goals hit the meaning of diversity head on! The goal that you set for the early childhood field related to diversity is possible. Diversity starts within each of us. We have our future leaders in our hands. By teaching them the meaning of diversity, we are leading them in the right direction.

    Best of luck to you & thanks for all your insight!

    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing and the sharing you have engaged in throughout this course as well throughout our journey through the program. This class has also been challenging for me for the same reasons…looking at my past to see how it has influenced me today. It’s funny I’ve tried my best to forget some of my past, but after this class I appreciate it more knowing that it has made me a better person…better woman…better early childhood educator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not agree with you more!! We as early childhood professionals need to provide all children and their families with a culturally responsive learning environment. Thank you so much for sharing throughout this journey:) See you next class!

    ReplyDelete